My topic idea about dorm life has gained some momentum over
the past week. Through my own experiences, I am very eager and passionate to
write about this topic, especially as I have pondered more and more about the
importance and influence living away from home has on individual college kids.
My topic became even more focused after I attended Rutgers Residence Hall Association
Leadership Development Day where Gregory Blimling, vice president of student
affairs, enthusiastically spoke about the importance of dorm life and even
stated a startling fact that college students who dorm have a 4% higher
graduation rate. I am hoping to plan an interview with him in order to find out
more information about Rutgers is currently affected by dormitory students and
equally what the students gain from the experience. In addition, I learned
about a co-op dormitory building outside of Cook Campus at Rutgers University
which offers students cheaper living for individual and team cooking, cleaning,
and management of the building. I might want to illustrate the Living Learning
Communities, Co-op Dorm, and Recovery Dorm offered at Rutgers. A research paper
highlighting the positive outcomes of dorm life seems like the ideal route I
want to take in order to demonstrate to my audience the various and unnoticed
benefits.
For my Google search, I entered “dormitory life” “college
dorm benefits” and “dormitory outcomes”. My key words including “dorm/dormitory”
yielded results varying from articles and scholarly journals titled with
similar research for my topic. I really need help with finding out how to
attach links to my blog but here are some of the links I enjoyed. This website,
http://president.rutgers.edu/letter_062104.shtml,
highlighted Gregory Blimling and his addition to the Rutgers University community
which I found inspiring especially after hearing him give a speech about
Residence Hall life. I think he has a lot of input to offer about the gains of
dorm life while he is resourceful and a huge part of Rutgers. This link, http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rhetoric/105H17/mkimball/cov.html,
was written about Iowa State University by Mariah
Kimball and its correlation to greek life. Lastly, http://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/11/nyregion/more-city-students-choose-dormitory-life.html,
was an article written from the New York Times about city students dorming more
regularly because the influx for independence and freedom. From Google scholar
I found articles but with more credibility including http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15327795jra0403_2
but I was denied access to the full length version.
From these searches I feel more assured that there is solid
evidence and statistics to back up my point of view and I have psychologists to
back up the mental growth dormitory living might have on an immature
adolescent. My topic did find some bumps
in its path because there are so many angles to take with this topic but now my
real question is how can I extend this topic to something potentially
insightful and innovative. I want my college dorm experience research paper to
be page turning and informative.
No comments:
Post a Comment